Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Confusing mix of object-oriented and imperative programming

There’s a confusing mix of imperative and object-oriented PHP in the registration module. What’s confusing is that in the object-oriented presentation layer I have to make a call back to the non-OO data layer to look up the subscriber id in a table.

I’m running it under PHP 4 also. I thought PHP 5 was object oriented? What’s up? So I guess I have to find out what PHP 4 OO programming was. Luckily there’s a little article by the authors of PHP themselves.

To understand what is happening I’ve also started to recall those old ideas from the theory of programming languages: variable scope and control flow (as well as the Scheme concepts of closures and continuations that help make sense of the most difficult aspects like non-local control flow and scope in objects).

Anyway don't mean to be negative, but I am going to make sense of this stuff, and this blog is going to record the steps I take to understand it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home