Monday, May 01, 2006

Reasonable people can't understand Joomla

I posted the following to OpenSourceCMS. I haven't given up on Joomla! (as if anyone cares) and when I am finished mastering it, I am going to create some documentation that describes the big picture because the details are pretty intuitive already. If they don't want it on the Joomla! site, I'll just stick in this blog, which can double as a general web publishing platform (if you pre-date entries to the very beginning of the blog and then put links to them in the right sidebar):

Two quotes from people who have been having problems with Joomla! documentation:

"I must say that if the team behind Joomla, and also the other developers that use it, want to see it beeing widely used and really apreciated by the rest of us an effort torwards clear, adequate and effective starting documentation must be in place. I would love to start using it, since there are so many good opinions about its strengths, unfortunatly good documentation not being one of them."

"I'm a programmer and ever reading through what little documentation I could find I still could not get the site configured in any sort of decent manner."

I agree. I've had a hard time customizing it without delving deeply into the code. I can actually write what I need in fairly simple PHP so I think stanadalone system is the approach I'm going to take unless I can find a simpler system to customize.

The incredibly rude replies are probably by people who've never had a job in their life or incredibly socially inept.

REALITY: Increasingly non-programmers or programmers who have a only a limited amount of time to spare from other duties are being called on to customize CMSs. CMSs that adapt themselves to these peoples' needs will survive, those that don't, won't. The documentation doesn't explain the big picture of how the whole thing operates. Once you know the big picture, everything else should be common-sense. Movable-Type is an example of a CMS like this. The presentation of content on web pages also usually violates long established principles. Take for instance, Anna's Joomla! Tips which should be in h2 or h1 and visible on this page when it displays without scrolling:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,5503.0.html

Jon Fernquest
http://joomlafordummieslikeme.blogspot.com/
Posted by Jon Fernquest on Monday, 01 May 2006 at 1:43

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home